Frequently Asked Questions
- When will this game start?
- Although people are tired of hearing “soon” or “this year” we can’t give you an exact launch date just yet. We will tell you that our aim is to officially launch mid to late 2015. We currently have our Battle Arena available to ALL players right now found on the ‘play storm force’ tab of our website: https://www.creativedesigngames.com/
Now having said that, SF will start in a different way than most games. Our battle arena is not a demo it is an example of real game play for Storm Force where you can play against other people online for free. This battle arena will stay open until game release even during our Early Access phases which are available through pledging to our Storm Force Fundraiser: https://www.creativedesigngames.com/products/
Early Access means Alpha and Beta testing. Alpha is planned to start in August 2015 and Beta follows 5 weeks later, although it is possible that these dates will be brought forward.
What does Alpha get you? Well you get to play the latest development update of Storm Force, test it out and have input into any changes that need to be made. You are able to, at various stages allow; research, build up your Base and construct ships and weapons. All of this you get to keep, including your Base level gains. We are not planning any resets. Alpha players will also have a special logo for their “Hall of Honor”, which lists your badges of service and special achievements.
Beta players also keep any gains they make during the Beta phase, have a special logo and be up to 3 weeks ahead of Free Players. Free Players do not have “Retain any gain” privileges during Alpha and Beta testing phases. No resets unless it is because the sky is falling and it’s necessary. If a reset is required, even then players will be able to "instant" build the replacement.
This will be a gradual soft launch of the game. There will of course be an Official Launch one day but players will be playing long before that.
ALL our supporters will end up being testers, even those that aren’t able to contribute financially will be able to help out with debugging and provide input back about the game.
- Can you build a base?
- Build a base yes, but not just a square stuck in the middle of the ocean. The bases will be versatile and have sea and land-based structures based in a Fjord system so players can concentrate or spread their base layout to suit their preference.
- Will movement be click and go or will players have to physically navigate around the Fjord's?
- Mouse click mainly will be used to navigate the water with some keyboard functions too, like rotate camera. But basically you play using the mouse 95%.
- Will there be some sort of ship builder function?
- Players will have the ability to design, save, and load saved designs in order to build ships. This will not be an initial capability but will be released at some future time.
- Will this game be totally free to play?
- The game will be free to play but those that spend will have advantages as is only fair. That said, a keen free player can match the average coiner if they put in the time.
- Can we be attack in transit?
- Fleets can be attacked in transit provided your fleet has the speed to catch it. We will be adding some other surprises to this feature to make it a bit trickier.
- Can more than one person hit at any one time Ships/base?
- When the game first comes out we will probably only have 1 vs 1 but quickly expand to at least 16 player battles for fleets. At this stage we will stay with 1 vs 1 base attacks but look at our options there later. You will also be able to control your base during attacks but this may be a delayed feature simply because of time restraints.
- Will there be larger AI bases to attack?
- There will be a complex assortment of AI targets expanding as the game progresses. Remember, the AI is not passive, it has its eye on you.
- How many ships can I have in my fleet?
- Fleet size will be up to 5, then expanding out to 9 by sacrificing a larger ship place for two smaller ones. This will encourage mixed fleets as found in a modern navy. Yes there will be Subs and later Carriers, (but not endless masses of drones) and some of the smaller ships will have an anti-sub chopper.
- Will there be a tutorial for new members?
- There will be a tutorial but not straight off. Paris is working on some ideas for that.
- Can we customise anything in the game to make it personal?
- There will be several features to personalize your game. Ship camo patterns, icons and alliance standards to name a few. Some will cost, others will be free and all could be event mini prizes.
- What sort of comms will we have in the game?
- Comms will be text chat in game and voice chat is planned but not available in game immediately, as part of the game play.
- Will I be able to talk in comms to an individual i.e. whisper to them?
- You may be able to whisper, it depends on the features of the chat program we end up using.
- Will I be able to pack up and transport my base?
- You will be able to relocate your base using several methods to determine your end location. There will of course be a weekly limit of one move unless you use in game currency.
- Are you going to have to rank your fleets or is it based on the stuff you put on it?
- Ships will improve with the expertise of the crew and the weapons/specials packs on them. In real life a ship does not get better because it sailed 5 miles or attacked two fleets, in fact it deteriorates. We may introduce a temporary rank system until we can get the crew ranking system in place.
- If the game has different sides (good/bad) can I pick which one I want to be?
- Players can choose from two sides, each will have different features. It’s possible that at the beginning we will have to start off with a balanced system to distribute them out but we are hoping not. Players will still be able to attack players of the same side but there will be times when sides come into effect for certain events and quests.
- Once a fleet is dead can it be repaired or is it dead?
- Dead ships will return to base and be able to be repaired. We are playing with the idea that a dead ship will not carry cargo back but that may change. We welcome input on this detail.
- Will the game have speedups, if so how do we get them?
- Speed ups will be available either by using in game currency or game rewards. Later we will implement player gifts.
- Will build/repair times be shorter than competitors?
- Build/repair times will be greatly reduced on what players are used to and speed ups will be cheaper in terms of in game currency. The coin build/repair rate is equivalent to US$0.10 per hour of speedup. Repair times will be reasonable but such that larger vessels will tempt people to pay a small fee for speed ups but not such that non coiners get frustrated. It is a balance we will work at.
- Will there be alliances?
- Alliances are a must and we will be putting provision for them in the Forums. As to use in actual game play, it will be awhile before this is implemented. This will be something we add as an update after people are already playing the game.
- I am a lone player will this be a disadvantage to me?
- Lone players have the advantage of freedom and the disadvantage of being a lone wolf. There are those in every game that find advantages in playing alone. Likely our supporters and players will be the ones to find out what advantages and disadvantages are involved in playing this way.
- Will my alliance have a home base for all to gain rewards from?
- An alliance home base is a future feature.
- How many will be allowed in an alliance?
- This has not been finalized but will likely be somewhere in the range of 200 players.
- What are the benefits of being in an alliance?
- Details of alliances have not been finalized. More information to come.
- Can lone players team up for short periods without creating an alliance?
- Lone players can of course help each other but if they want alliance benefits they need to form an alliance. Lone players are just that, lone players.
- Why can’t I access a forum?
- Some forums may be limited to certain users or groups. To view, read, post or perform another action you may need special permissions. Contact a moderator or board administrator to grant you access.
- Will there be events and event prizes?
- There will be a monthly Campaign starting early 2016 that includes prizes and rewards. Smaller weekly Missions will add to the fun and include some sort of quest. Points for Campaign prizes will be able to be carried over to subsequent Campaigns so little guys can save up and still get good prizes. Prizes will not just be hulls and another armour to add, there will be Base specials and ship add-ons too. Also some things we are not ready to announce yet.
- Will the game use Facebook credits?
- No. Facebook charges a company 30% of returns (plus taxes). We would rather return funds back to players so we will be focusing on players signing up via the website. Those that do will not only help the game but be eligible for the prize pool system that returns rewards and packages to ALL players. Those that purchase through the Storm Force store have their name entered into the prize pool which consists of 20% of Gold purchases. So a $10 package sees $2 go into the kitty.